Friday, May 19, 2017

Mini haul

More plants. 😀
I stopped by Home Depot on Wednesday 5/17 to look for some garden plants. We've had 90 plus degree weather for a couple of days so the plants looked a little crispy. So I was a little disappointed and went to look around the indoor houseplant section. And look what I found!!

It's a fragrant mini phaleonopsis. I was so excited when I caught the scent.  It's difficult to describe but it reminds be of a floral scented soap. It wasn't labeled but I'm pretty sure it's Phal. Jiaho’s Pink Girl.  It is a cross between Phal. Schilleriana and Phal. Zuma’s Pixie.  It looks like it has picked up more traits from the Shilleriana parent. I love the spotting on the flowers and the dark mottled leaves.  It also has branching flower spikes. Such a tiny plant with so many flowers.
There is one flower that's missing a lip. Strange. I wonder if it is a genetic thing. Hopefully I'll get it to rebloomed. I have a lot more luck with large phaleonopsis. I feel like the smaller ones are easier to overwater. Not sure why, maybe it's because it's in such a small container it seems like it would dry out too fast, but it really doesn't.
 Another strange thing is I didn't smell the scent the next day. Maybe it's the change in environment. Some require sunlight to become fragrant. I did move it into more sun and it did help, but it's still a lot more mild than it was before.  I'm really glad I found this one.

 Echeveria setosa var. minor
The hairy leaves were just so cute. It kind of looks prickly, but they are not spines. I don't have any fuzzy echeveria yet, and now I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment