Friday, December 15, 2017

Orchid haul from Andy's Orchids

I haven't posted in a while it's been quite busy with the holidays.  There was a 40% off sale at Andy's Orchids.  So of course, I had to purchase more orchids.  I purchased these in November, so sorry the sale is no longer going on.  But it seems to happen every November, so remember to check next year.  I could have paid for 2 day shipping, but if it was delayed for any reason the third day had below freezing temps so I went for overnight shipping.  It was pricey, but I did get 40% off, so I think it was still worth it. 


I know this picture doesn't show any details, but I'll post new ones when I posts updates on the orchids.

Here are the orchids I purchased (from left to right):
holcoglossum flavescens
ascocentrum pumilum
leptotes pohlitinocoi
haraella odorata
gastrochilus somai

Non-orchid purchase (top):
Myrmecodia (Ant Plant)

The plants are all very small, the largest was the gastrochilus which game in bud.  So excited about the buds.  They are miniatures, so they won't get big, but it will be a long while before they become specimen size.  Besides the leptotes, all the other genera are all new to me.  Hopefully they'll grow well for me.

Winter is always difficult though as the air is extremely dry.  Even with a humidifier on, its about 30%.  I wish we had a longer growing season.  It's so much easier to grow outside. Because it's so dry, everything pretty much dries in a day, so I water daily.  Watering is also difficult since I grow inside and I have to water each mount individually and try to get the hardwood floors all wet.  I usually get water everywhere. 

I have thought about transferring the mounts to pots, but it seems like it'd kill most of the roots and I would set the orchid back.  Potted plants will not have to be watered as often, but it takes a while for an orchid to recover after a re-pot so stripping it off a mount seems like it would inflict trauma to an orchid.

The ant plant is also new to me.  The caudex is supposed to grow large and it has all these crevices and tunnels that ants live in.  I'm not sure I want ants living in my plant, but I really like the shape of the fat base.   Like my orchids, this plan also likes humidity.  Hopefully it can tolerate my conditions.

Well that's it for now.  Good luck growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment