Tuesday, June 13, 2017

My first zygopetalum

The blooms on this plant aren't too amazing, but people always rave about the fragrance. And hey describe the scent as like a hyacinth which I love.  Usually the plants in stores don't smell to strong, but maybe that's just the stress of changing environments and the lack of sunlight. But I can smell it and it's very pleasant. Hopefully it'll be more intense as the blooms age. There are two spikes each with 4 flowers. The second spike hasn't opened yet but looks very close.   I got this at Trader Joe's. If you know the name of the orchid, please comment. The bulbs don't look great and are shriveled. But it was the only one there and I wanted to get something. It also has quite a few pseudobulbs. I count eleven which is quite high as there was an oncidium there that was just one big bulb. Hopefully this will do well for me. 


A couple of days later:  Two more buds opened. The new blooms have a fair scent. The lip is very wrinkly which I don't really like. The older books have the same problem but not as bad so I think they'll straighten out but not completely. 



No comments:

Post a Comment