Monday, October 23, 2017

More new orchids from the Lyman Estate greenhouse

The greenhouse has a sale twice a year. There were a lot or orchids for sale. It was hard not to buy too much. But I think I did ok with only three. I don’t have an orchid nursery nearby, so this is basically the only option for a variety or orchids other than phalaeonopsis.


Psychopsis Mendenhall ‘Hildos’
I’ve always wanted one of these. I’m really satisfied with the size of the plant and picked the largest available.  It has 11 leaves so it must be a mature plant and it’s trying to squeeze out of the pot. But the lady at the greenhouse says they like to be kept rootbound so I’ll keep it in for a season and see what it does.  Too bad it doesn’t have a spike. The color of the leaves are beautiful. The top is green with purple patches and the back is purple with green dots. Please spike!

Angrecum Didieri
I got the next two orchids for their fragrance. There is a small nub in a leaf axle which looks like a spike. I don’t think it’s a root as those are grayish and bumpy. This one also has a new growth with seven leaves. 


Neofinetia falcata ‘Shutennou’ 朱天王
This one should have some pink in it. It’s planted in a small basket with sphagnum moss. I also got a pot (sold separately). The basket pops right in so I’ll keep it in there. I don’t see a need to repot. The moss is fresh. The plant is small but there are 5 growths. The roots look new, but unfortunately the tips that are visible look damaged. Don’t know about the ones inside the most.


I had to retrai myself. There was so much more beautiful plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment