Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Lyman estate greenhouse orchid sale March 31

There is a sale every few months at Lyman Estate greenhouses. They have some of the oldest greenhouses in America. I've purchased plants a couple times before from the greenhouse. They have unique plants that are hard to find.  There is one greenhouse that contains plants for sale, and you can browse around all the others. Even the nurseries around don't really have the variety they have in the one small area that they have for the sale.

Here's what I got:

Stapelia gigantea
I got it for the huge and amazing strange looking flowers, but I'm afraid of what they will smell like. People say  it smells like rotting flesh. The reason for this is to attract flies as pollinators. 
This one had what looked like rot. So I made a clean cut below and put cinnamon on it. Cinnamon is a natural fungicide. The reason I still purchased this one is that it had the most branches. Is that what they are called? Others just had a large single stem and I figured the more the better. It has been 11 days and I don't see any blackening around the cut, so hopefully that means the plant is healthy.


Dendrobium Enobi Purple Splash
This one only had three small canes but the picture of the flowers lured me in. There is a spike so I'll be able to enjoy the flowers soon. And it's a miniature orchid it helps with my space situation.  I had no trouble finding pictures of the flowers online, but hardly anything about the care. I think it's a warm grower and it's free flowering and doesn't need a winter rest.



Dendrobium mini purple
Compared to the plan above, this one is seems a lot more mature.  You can see the difference in the number of canes. This is also a miniature and has a bloom spike with a few buds.


Tolumnia 'Nalo beauty'
I have one other tolumnia in my collection.  It's in a tiny clay pot that doesn't have any media in it.  But the pot is completely root bound and is a solid mass of roots.  I'm not sure how many roots are actually alive.  The pot is tiny and they don't have pots that small at the big home improvement stores.  So I'll have to go to a craft store to find a smaller pot.  Tolumnias need to dry out quickly so they are mounted a lot.  But mounted orchids are too much work because they require watering a lot more frequently.


My doggie checking out the blooms.  They are not scented, but a dog's nose might detect something.














No comments:

Post a Comment