Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Teeny tiny flowers

Chamaeangis (Microterangis) Species: hildebrandtii

It likes lower light levels and is a warm to intermediate grower.  For watering it should be moist and dry slightly between waterings. I purchased this plant mounted which has pros and cons. I have a tendency to over water as apposed to the latter. It's very difficult to over water on a mount. The con is that there is a lot more maintenance. I am required to water frequently.  There is a small bit of moss on the mount and it gets crispy within a day.

I got this plant at the end of November. Out of the group of plants I purchased, this is the first to bloom. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. For a first time flowering, I didn't expect this many flowers. And there are six spikes! A couple of the spikes have been opened for weeks. And the smaller spikes are starting to bloom. I had actually thought the spikes were roots. They are the same shape and size. The color was maybe a little different with more of a brown tone. But I had accounted that to a different climate and conditions. Not until the bracts started to form I realized they weren't roots.

There is also a fragrance that I can smell from a few feet away. Pretty incredible from such minuscule flowers. I can't describe the scent really well. It's floral and mild. Similar to other flowers but I can't think of a specific one at the moment.

In a picture below I've included a finger for scale.






No comments:

Post a Comment