Sunday, November 6, 2016

MOS Orchid Show and more new plants! 😜

I went to the MOS Orchid Show on Nov. 5, 2016 and of course I can't leave empty handed. This was my first orchid show.  It was exciting, but seemed a little small.  Here are a few pictures from the show.












The show had a small number of vendors. My first purchase was from Andy's orchids. They are well known for their 'orchids on a stick' and specialize is species orchids. Andy was very helpful and spent time showing me plants when I asked for easy to grow orchids as I still consider myself a beginner. I ended up buying a couple from his recommendations.

Dendrobium tannii. The color of the flowers differ from plant to plant. But I believe Andy said the ones they had were pink.  The flowers are supposed to last for months. The canes looked a little shrively and did plump after watering. But I'll need to keep them dry as winter is coming. I also pulled away some of the brown dried bits from the canes. I figure that it will give the plant more area for photosynthesis and I also found a tiny dead bug crammed in between one of the canes and the dried stuff. So cleaning up the orchid will help it harbor less pests. Good thing I didn't find any live ones.


Encyclia bractescens. It should have narrow star shaped flowers, red-brown sepals and petals, and the lip is white with fine lines of purple radiating from the center. I just love the moss that has grown all over. It looks like a very established mount.


Sphagnum moss (tillandsia usneoides). Not an orchid and actually an air plant but I always wanted some so I had to grab it.  I see people grow them in their vanda baskets along side the roots and this is what I plan to do with some of it. I'll also use some on a grape wood branch that has a few mounted air plants. I'll have plenty of leftovers. It was an enormous amount for only 5$. I know down south they can't get rid of this fast enough. But up north a tiny handful probably cost 15$ at a nursery so I was lucky to get it for such a deal! I hear it's hard to grow indoors during the winter due to the dry air, but Andy says it is easy, so we'll see.


Piping Rock Orchids specializes in Paphiopedilums & Phragmipediums but I didn't get any.  

Butterwort (pinguicula).  I purchased a butterwort.  Again, not an orchid but I'm also a fan of carnivorous plants. I have fungus gnats that will hopefully fall prey to the plant. They also have pretty flowers which remind me of violets. Carnivorous plants do not like too much mineral and salts in the water.  I'm hoping tap water will be ok as I don't have a tds meter and don't plan to buy one anytime soon.  It wasn't labeled with the name of the cultivar so if u know please let me know in the comments.

From Fair Orchids I purchased an orchid.  I was actually on my way out and saw this little guy and wanted to get just one more.  

Dendrobium jenkinsii.  It's a miniature orchid with golden orange flowers. The flowers don't last long but are supposed to cover the plant. Look! I see some growing root tips.


I wanted to purchase more, but controlled myself.  There was a vendor there that specializes in orchids from japan.  I was very tempted to buy a Neofinetia falcata orchid, but will hold off for a future purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment