Sunday, January 15, 2017

Houseplant sale at Lyman Estate greenhouses

These are amongst the oldest greenhouses in the United States. They have some rare plants that are hard to find and have sales where u can buy them. Here are some pictures of their greenhouses.



These are the plants I got.


Vanda Robert's Delight Pink
The flowers on this are so impressive, this is the first plant that caught my eye.  The flowers are huge and so vibrant.  There seems to be a healthy amount of roots and they are long.  Unfortunately I don't think they will survive.  What I've read is that in humid places, the roots grow very long and thin.  In drier locations they are thicker to help retain moisture.  This seems to be true as I purchased a vanda a couple of years back.  All the new roots are significantly fatter then the original ones.  They are thicker then a pencil and some of the original thin ones are desiccated. Hopefully I can rebloom this.  I have never rebloomed a vanda but have gotten two keikis to grow last year.
Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Bluebird'
As you can see from the dried flower spike this one just finished flowering.  So hopefully I won't have to wait too long until the next bloom.  I also see at least three old cut spikes.  
Lc. Pure Soul 'Yutaka Morimoto'
There are two blooms.  Here's a picture of each of them.  There are two other sheaths, but I don't see anything in them.

Dendrochilum Bicallosum
There are some leaf tips that look burnt.  I'll trim them off to make the plan look cleaner.  I see 11 spikes and small growths that may be additional spikes!  The flowers cascade down in spirals and is supposed to have a unique creamy pale salmon color.
Crassula Morgan's Beauty
The succulent leaves look super cute and look at all those flower buds.  
Lifesaver plant
I have one of these already, but mine has a brown flower and I wanted one with the red 'lifesaver.'  The picture on the tag had a red flower so hopefully the tag is accurate.  The flowers are so bizarre they don't even look real.

No comments:

Post a Comment