Monday, January 2, 2017

Mounted staghorn fern

A while back I bought a tiny plant from the terrarium and fairy garden section of the nursery. I thought the foliage with tiny fuzz looked neat.  It had a generic tropical plant label, but I suspected it was a fern. It looks like there were a bunch of tiny plants crammed in a single pot. After a while, maybe several months later it developed a sterile frond so I confirmed it was some type of staghorn fern. I also decided to divide them so they have more room to grow and I get more plants. Yesterday I was at Michaels and was browsing around and found a wood plaque.  Staghorns are epiphytes so they  don't grow in the ground or soil. They grow on other plants like trees so these are often grown mounted.  I picked the piece of wood that had the most character.  It turns out that because of the "character" it was marked for clearance and sold "as is." All the others were a pale color and did not have much wood grain or markings. It was only 50 cents.

 This is the fern I selected to mount.
 I placed a little sphagnum moss and used some fishing line and a stapler to secure the plant.
I hope it will like it on the mount and grow quickly and attach itself to the wood.  I still need to add something to the back so I can hang it up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment