Thursday, January 12, 2017

Rescue-able phal?

Can this phal be saved? I received this plant from someone who regularly throws away the orchids after they have bloomed. I didn't get a chance to take a picture before I cleaned it up. There were three other dried flower spikes I ripped off. There was a single remaining green one. And since the stem was rotted, all the leaves fell off. The leaves themselves didn't look bad but were connected to a mushy center. I'm hoping that I can get a basal keiki off the base of the spike because there is basically zero stem left.
The roots look ok. The majority are firm and I only cut off a small amount.

Update 01/28/2017:
Definitely very dead. There is black rot in the bast of the stem. 


Below shows my successful rescue although it doesn't look like it. I think this is the only orchid I've ever had which had crown rot. But it ended up growing a basal keiki. The basal turned into a full grown plant. So I've ripped it off and potted it leaving the original stem and roots. And you see that tiny green nubbin in between the roots? Another keiki.
Here is another angle. The keiki is on the right side.
After a couple of months there are a couple of small leaves. 
And here is the grown keiki that is in a four inch pot. It still needs to develop a stronger root system but the plant is just as big as all my other mature phals. 



No comments:

Post a Comment